Waterproofing A Prestigious New-Build Basement In Surrey With Newton System 500
This large new-build property in Surrey had a very large basement area which needed to be waterproofed to meet BS8102 requirements, the British Standard for the Protection of Structures Against Water From the Ground. Because it is not possible to determine the amount of potential water pressure surrounding a structure, BS8102 tells the designer to expect a head of water against the structure. In addition, BS8102 requires that all waterproofing is maintainable and repairable
Newton Specialist Basement Contractor MaclennanUK were commissioned to design and install a Cavity Drain Waterproofing System. Newton System 500 was deemed the best range of products for the project as it provides a maintainable waterproofing solution – and thus meets the requirements of BS8102.
- Newton System 500 is easily and quickly repaired and maintained
- The complete system is guaranteed for a full 20 years by MaclennanUK
- If the system is inspected and serviced annually the guarantee can be extended
- The system is very fast to install and there is no drying period
New-Build Basement Waterproofing – Design Strategy
On a daily basis we field enquiries about the best way to make a new-build basement waterproof. The waterproofing method adopted requires careful consideration as failure to make the correct decision can have a major impact on the effectiveness of the system and the potential use of the basement.
Types of Waterproofing:
- Type A (Barrier) Protection – A barrier to water ingress is applied to the inner or outer surface of the structure
- Type B (Structurally Integral) Protection – The structure is formed as a watertight construction and requires no additional protection
- Type C (Drained) Protection – Water entering the structure is received by planned cavities or voids and safely removed
Newton FlexProof Construction Joint Waterproofing
Newton FlexProof-X1 is a highly advanced single component liquid waterproofing material, which forms an elastomeric polymer membrane that is rainproof in minutes and capable of handling severe building movements and deformations.
FlexProof-X1 is quite unique with amazing characteristics allowing it to be used
- Without a primer
- Without mixing
- In weather conditions that preclude the use of alternatives
- Construction and movement joints to basement structures built of concrete
- Retained walls built in concrete or concrete block
- Construction and movement joints to decks and flat roofs built of concrete or timber
- Wet rooms built of concrete, masonry or timber
When applied by trowel or squeegee over construction joints in concrete, FlexProof-X1 provides a continuous highly flexible membrane that is resistant to water pressures of up to 2 bar (20m) over construction joints of up to 0.25mm.